Saturday 24 October 2015

Task 1b Professional communication technologies

Hello Readers :)

When I read the slides a few days ago i didn't actually know what Web 2.0 was, initially I thought it was a program  I could download, oh how wrong was I! I googled the definition and this is what I got:

'Web 2.0 is the term given to describe a second generation of the World Wide Web that is focused on the ability for people to collaborate and share information online. Web 2.0 basically refers to the transition from static HTML Web pages to a more dynamic Web that is more organized and is based on serving Web applications to users.'

Web 2.0 is something most people and I use every single day but I just knew it as the 'internet', I did not have a clue there was two versions of it?! (hope I'm not by myself here)

When it comes to social media I think there are huge positives and huge negatives. Personally I think there are more positives and here are my opinions:
1.) Facebook is great if you have your own company/running a buisness; it's a brilliant form of free advertising and you can stayed connected with your pupils/parents by putting up updates for all to see. For example 'Class next week cancelled' or 'we are still open half term!' 
2.) I know people love uploading their new headshots or dance portfolio pictures (myself included) onto your facebook page or instagram and things can travel so fast around the internet nowadays! At a click of a screenshot and into your whatsapp conversation, or copy and paste a link into a facebook chat which pops up onto everyone's phones, you just don't know who is going to get hold of your new pictures. A casting director or choreographer perhaps and you look like the perfect part for what they are looking for leading to a potential audition/job opportunity. 
3.) Many many many auditions are advertised on facebook! We probably all know about The Hustle .. I got my first major overseas dance job from  The Hustle, I know a friend which saw an open audition for a cruise which was advertised on there and got the job. Pages like this are so so so useful for performers which is a massive positive for social media.

For me personally, the major issue of social media is what you upload on your page. Almost every company nowadays will check your facebook before they employ, even companies which you don't think will. I worked in a bar/nightlcub in London while I was training. Even my manager was going on people's facebook for a bar job before they got offered an interview and I know for certain there was one call which didn't get an interview because of her facebook page and if a bar in London does this then I'm pretty other major companies will. You have to be so careful what you write; you can't hear the way people say things so something could be taken the wrong way. You could offend someone with what you write if your not careful and last but not least, your pictures!! People judge. Even if they say they don't, it's human nature to do so. My fiend works of a big company in London doing something to do with business, they have told her she can't even upload a picture of herself holding a drink which looks alcoholic!! If they don't like the person they see in the pictures, you won't get hired. Scary, I know!! 

Does the web help us understand global issues and local issues?
I think it does to a certain extent! It's so easy to google something and find videos and images from the other side of world to just round the corner from you. However I think you can never fully understand these issues we see unless you personally experience them (which I hope none of us have)

If everyone just stops and thinks before they upload anything onto social media/Web 2.0, we should all use it help our professional practice. Use it to show off your positive energy then everything will fine :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment